Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a video explaining what we are fighting for in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (ODNRA) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a49bLPmUg&feature=results_video

I represent Save The Riders Dunes (STRD) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-the-Riders-Dunes/294886641722?ref=hl and we are heavily endorsed by the Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC) for donation collections and other unmentionable legal facets http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/11/13/rallly-to-stop-closures-at-oregon-dunes-nra

Our Blog with letters on this issue http://savetheridersdunes.blogspot.com/

Whether you live in Oregon, Maine, Arizona or Canada, it's happening around your area in some form or another also. All submitted comments are required to be documented by the Forest Service (FS), and yours will be included! We are making our stand and busting kneecaps to protect this National Treasure that is dying at FS control.

We would appreciate your's, your spouse's and your children's comments at http://pittraffic.com/mag/archives/2012/5697

Thank you for your time......Lance Rowland

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Everyone here should know i'm a straight shooter that spends hours helping everyone I can whenever I can and ask nothing in return. I am asking for your help now. Thanx....Lance Rowland

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Take about 2 minutes to cut and paste into the pit-traffic link with all the info
http://pittraffic.com/mag/archives/2012/5697

Thanks for your help

Counties requires any Economic Impact must be considered in the final decision regarding the Designated Routes Project. The entire 28,900 acres of the Oregon Dunes National Recreational Area (ODNRA)was, in fact, mostly open free flowing sand at the establishment of the NRA in 1972. Today, approximately 80% has now been vegetated by non-native mostly agency planted European beach grass, scotch broom and shore pine. The economic viability of XYZ County is closely tied to the Oregon Dunes NRA health and wellbeing. The focus must be on restoration, not closure of OHV as OHV is the only inexpensive vegetation removal the USFS has at its disposal.

The USDA Forest Service should comply with the legislative intent of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area Act of 1972 which directed the Secretary of Agriculture to establish an advisory council that would regularly be consulted with regarding ongoing management and development of the recreation area (Public Law 92-260, Section 12 (a). Such a council existed at one point but was disbanded by the then Chief of the Forest Service.

I would like to see the USDA Forest Service adopt an Alternative that either rezones all 10C (4,455 acres) to Open Riding 10(B) or modifies Alternative 5 so that all the acres within 10C be reconsidered if that area is predominantly non-native vegetation.

I want to see the USDA Forest Service reestablish the advisory council for sustainable management of the ODNRA and formally consult with the county as a cooperating agency on this and future NEPA planning processes.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So many peeps get 'scared' when they see any thread in Land Advocacy section....dunno why....but more and more are responding because they are starting to """GET IT!"""... you got it!...Thanx.

sent from my twin-turbo RAZR

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a four hour talk one evening flying from New York to Salt Lake with at the time Senator Bob Bennett and he shared with me that the rule in Washington is that for each letter they receive on an issue that they figure at least ten other people feel exactly the same. The reasons we have so many land closures is because the environmental groups are more active and speak up and share their opinions, their passion to close lands to use is heard and the people who want to keep them open of sit at home and do not share their thoughts. You might as well speak up and say you agree with the forest service if you do not share your thoughts on the issue. You have little to lose by speaking up; you have everything to lose by not saying anything to the people making the decisions. I hope many will take the opportunity to speak up, with modern technology it is not as hard as it was when you had to travel great distances to share your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Stan here is a quick letter that you can copy and past into this link..

Pit Traffic » Alert: Help Keep Oregon Dunes Open! Comment Now! | Pit Traffic

It is time for the Forest Service to start restoration of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (ODNRA), not just looking at the 10C Travel Management Area. If we continue on this road of destruction the Oregon Dunes that is known as a tourist destination will be a thing of the past for future generations to enjoy, whether it being, Hiking, camping, OHVing or just kicked back with your feet in the sand, it will be gone in 20 to 50 years, if you continue on this path of doing nothing..
The Forest Service has planted and let invasive –non native species take over the dunes.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice!!... now if a few hundred peeps would take two minutes to do the same, we would be soooooo grateful.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Letter sent

Best of luck keeping it open to public use.

I hope I can get up that way some day before it is gone.

Just got back from Jawbone and once again more area is shut down. It is so sad how much destruction all the signs and burms are only to have a area set aside for people that will never go there and animals that have no problem with off-roaders.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Letter sent

Best of luck keeping it open to public use.

I hope I can get up that way some day before it is gone.

Just got back from Jawbone and once again more area is shut down. It is so sad how much destruction all the signs and burms are only to have a area set aside for people that will never go there and animals that have no problem with off-roaders.
Thanx Bryan!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
A number of years ago there was a program to decide what areas should and should not be open for off road riding and every trail was to be submitted for review. The outcome was a number of basic open riding areas and some main trail and washes connecting those areas.
The problem started NOT with BLM or the USFS but a man named Ed Waldheim who wile acting President for CORVA (California Off-Road Vehicle Association) and proclamed activist for off-road rider decided to take on putting up signs everywhere using CORVA funds to close anything that was not listed as OPEN or trails or routes. The problem was there is a lot of Private property and Ed decided to fence it off but the owners and BLM could care less about. Then Ed decided to close off with fence at least a couple washes that were marked as routes down to as little as 20 feet wide wile the wash (entire width) up to 500 feet wide was what was listed as the route. Now kids 6 years old are riding in the same 20 foot wide roads that Ed had fenced off and are trying to stay clear of much faster off roaders. Ed Waldheim has now moved over to another organization "Friends of Jawbone" to continue his discruction of the desert with signs on almost every foot of the routes. Infact I saw Ed is now working to close off parts of the Jawbone OPEN riding area (hill climbs on the north side of the canyon). Ed also closed routes that had been set aside to get from Califorina City riding area across the turtle reserve to the Jawbone area. Those routes are still fenced routes so animals have a hard time getting around but it has Closed signs on each side of the routes so we cannot use them.

If you go into the large newly build buildings for BLM and Friends of Jawbone (every ugly eyesore building and put to where every car driving up HWY14 sees it) you will find wile funds where taken from the Off Road Green Sticker funds they are not happy to see off road riders. There is even a sign that says NO Off Road vehicles allowed by the building that is for and paid for by the off roaders.

There are wind mills all over near there in Mojave and as I understand they force ALL wildlife out of the areas where they have the windmills and are required to set aside twice the land they use but in other areas just for wildlfe. There was talk that the investers behind the windmills are working to close much of the off road riding areas and count that as there required land set aside even if they didn't own it to begin with.

I would bet money that in 20 years that entire area will be a thing of the past for the public to use off roading and CORVA will leave all the signs everywhere for the next 100 years for someone else to pick up.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
So this sounds about the same as our 10c..by the FS.
I had heard that name several months ago..just didnt know who he was..
So my question is why did they allow him into Friends of Jawbone or did he start it??

gotta love life

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
That is a very good question. But Ed does play himself off as a off road promoter. A couple of weeks ago one person in at the friends of Jawbone counter when asked how to ride to California City said if he had it his way it would all be closed.

Sorry have to say one more thing about Ed. He recently went to Mammoth about 3 hour drive north of Jawbone and wile Ed was there as a advisor he told the local I think it was Forest service or BLM people in charge of the area that they should close one main off road route because it was over used. WHAT IS THAT? This was a route that had everything around it closed already and Ed recommends closing it all together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts