Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have changed your own diff fluid did you use what BRP recommended or did you use some other type???

If you had yours serviced at the dealer what did they recommend or what type did they put in???

Thanks..Barbara

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Use a good synthetic and you will be fine. My Dealer was ok with that as the OEM recommendation is to use their overpriced brand.
What did you use?....:unsure:...I've already changed ours, just wondering what brands peeps were using.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
i used royal purple 75 90 in my rears and my gearbox.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
My dealer didn't have the oil in stock so I just went to napa and got redline too. That was all they had. I change my fluids way more often than needed so I could probably get away with any brand. But, it's only money!

·
Registered
21 Posts
went to the dealer where I bought my 2012 commander 1000xt for first service and they used suzuki hypoid 80/90 in the front and rear diffs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is what I thought. Both the service manager and the parts manager said they use it in all the commanders and they would stand behind it. They did use the brp oil for engine and the brp filter. They also used the brp gear oil for the crankcase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think your dealer did you a favor and used a great gear lube and didn't charge you for two different gear lubes at a price of 15$ a bottle. The hypoid gear lube has been use by top racer in mx it has a better rating than most gear lubes.
Think about it do you think they would want to pay the bill to change out both front and rear diff because they used $hitty oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info. What had me worried was that the rear diff. called for 75-140 syn. They only charged me $ 156.93 for the first service and they
gave me the remaining bottle of engine oil because they said it only takes 2.3 qts. to fill it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is what I thought. Both the service manager and the parts manager said they use it in all the commanders and they would stand behind it. They did use the brp oil for engine and the brp filter. They also used the brp gear oil for the crankcase.
If they were going to use the BRP oil in the gearbox then what is the point of not using all of the right oil, you are still using two different bottles of oil!:confused: You should be fine running any quality synthetic 75w-140 in your gearbox and rear diff but front is not the same oil. You can run less expensive oil but i would still run the correct weights. There is a lot more stress on the rear end and gearbox in the commanders than there was in the Outlander thus different oils and more frequent replacement intervals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They said they were out of the can am diff. Gear oil. I think you are right. I should drain and put the 75-140 in the rear diff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts