Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Commander 1000 LTD. With 700 miles on it. While riding it for the first time I found it really loud and whinning. I've heard it's normal to needing new gears. Can anyone help? Its really annoying and hard to talk while ridding.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
First need to make sure it is the rear end whining and not simply the CVT. If it is rear end, they never mend themselves nor can be quieted down long term...replacement is in store for you. This is probably one reason the previous owner sold it, so as not having to replace the rear. The CVT whine is from the dry belt and sheaves and is common for these Rotaxed machines.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Constant Velocity Transmission.

Usually guys put new rears in these Commanders....anything bought used probably has the same problem IMO....not worth buying used. Price a new one thru your local dealers.

A few guys have also put Maverick rears in with excellent results, but a lot of work yourself or $$$ paid to someone else for job.

Many more articles on this site using your search feature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could my belt be worn to narrow? Seems to over rev. What is max RPM at top speed? Also seems have slow throttle response?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Sorry ...forgot to ask if you bought it used with about 700 miles on it. Your post indicates such, but I need to know for diagnosis.... Thanx.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Congrats on the new UTV!...so, the first thought is a worn, too narrow of belt would cause this. Good call in your theory, which would cause this problem, but usually it's something more underlaying than that.

The 2 things I would surmise being the problem is either 1).....the previous owner exploded a belt and didn't clean all pieces of belt shrapnel from primary sheave, thereby an old piece of belt is locking a finger or roller from full operation or ...2) the primary sheave is wearing and doing the same as if #1 was the problem.

Pull your driver seat out, remove CVT cover. Start engine and let idle, then tap gas a few times to understand how the two sheaves share the belt, changing "gear ratio" as rpm changes. Now with engine idling, see how high the belt is riding in the secondary (rear one). Now with your face out of line of fire, jab the throttle quickly and watch the primary (front) and verify it let's the belt ride high up to the top SMOOTHLY. If it doesn't come way up to the top, I would pull the outer primary sheave, bench it , and look for belt shrapnel or bad wear marks. The previous owner could have put a kit in it, so would be nice to know also. Have his phone #/email?... Ask him a few questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks I really like the bad ass look and ride in theory. It is the limited 1000 with the stereo system. But with the noise the stereo is irrelevant because you cannot hear it or have a conversation in it which is why I bought it over a ATV

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Understood. The wifey has a 2011 Cowmander and I have a 2006 Rhintax. We always wear helmets, equipped with Scala Rider G9s and helmet speakers. We stream our own musics, have intercoms, make phone calls...all by Bluetooth and VOX...and don't hear anything except what comes thru our speakers 1" from our ears....lol

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Usually shops that sell road bikes, like Harleys etc. Google Scala Rider G9 if you think your interested. I never use my stereo anymore, just Bluetooth from my phone when riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts