Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
BLR and I are 24/7 compatible....and have been for 3 decades....

So in 2006, we just about bought an Outlander Max (2-up) so we could ride together, then looked at the Rhino....went back to the Bombardier dealership to inquire about the BRP SxS....no luck, so to Yamaha and bought our new Rhino....we have wanted a BRP/Rotax produced SxS since 2006, so now ya'll see why BLR is so antsy for the Commander.....LOL....

We substantiated the SxS because we can ride together, talk easily to each other, the rear rider doesn't feel like second-fiddle hanging on, not seeing what's in front, the ROPS when flopping, the comfort of "driving a car instead of riding a cycle" feeling....plus it wouldn't have made sense to swap a Rotax into the Outlander, but it did in a Rhino!!!.....:rofl:......Lance

·
Registered
23 Posts
I grew up riding and racing MX bikes...and still do...and love to ride a bike in the desert/dunes...as well as on an enduro course...then I started the sport quad thing at the dunes...loved it...then got a Rhino in early 2005...fell in LOVE with the steering wheel and gas pedal, not to mention the cup holders...

We ride, and recreate at the same time..probably more recreation than riding..so for us the SxS is awesome...I can easily roll my kids around, carry a cooler, a nice stereo, have a top to keep the sun off me and still have a blast driving it....I have a newer MX bike, and a Renegade...but my Rhintax sees 95% of the action due to its overall ease of driving and comfort factor.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
What LBR forgot to add was we had a child arrive (of the 4 legged type) and his name is HotRod and he wanted to be able to cruise with us..:) you know that old saying a family that rides together stays together..:giggle:

Here is HotRod riding along during the UTV pulls at Dunefest

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
its an experiment for me... been racing Bikes for years...starting to feel it too...bad knees and shoulders..(hope to have one more Baja 500/1000 left in me).raced cars at a pretty high level for a few years before that...so..I have seen the UTV around for the last few years...they seem to be getting quicker and more reliable..so I thought I might (still a might) try my hand at racing a UTV..who knows...at least the was the initial motivation to buying a Commander..I am too looking at now going to the desert and mountains and sharing that experience with others...never been to the dunes...looks like a fun new experience.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why a SxS

Hello all - new to this forum but though I would add my 2cents

My forey into SxS was born from getting older and being tired of dragging deer out of the fields and forests in the middle of the night. As I recall I had to drag a deer out about 1/2 mile and it nearly killed me - while huffing and puffing back at the car I decided I had dragged my last deer - with two weeks I had purchased a Rhino - that was back in 2005. At the time I didn't think there was anything that Rhino could not do - 3-4 deer and 4-5 guys - no problem. Beat up my Rhino pretty good but that was why I bought it. Life was good!!!

As spring rolled around it seems a waste to have this industructable 4 wheeler sitting around so I started going up to the Adirondacks to Lewis County and around Lake George where I could really hurt the Rhino and myself - great fun. My girlfriend really liked the Rhino and loved to drive it into the mud and rocks. Seems the Rhino was a little wide for many of the trails and was broken regularly on the BIG rocks. Solution - got a Can Am 800 Max XT thinking we could both still ride together and would be able to go where we could not take the Rhino easily. Problem - the 800 was/is way to scary for my girlfriend to drive so she is always in back struggling to see whats happening.

Soooo the moral of this story is that a side by side will do work and fun things that a quad will not do well, anyone can get behind the wheel and have a great time safely and you don't have to rag deer.

Why the Commander? Heard about them from friend who fixes my Rhino, did a little reserarch, went to one of the Can Am rides, and called my dealer the second I got out (after the second ride) and ordered an X. It is just to fast, too cool, to much fun not to have one. My girl friend is calling me crazy (they are not giving them away) but she will absolutely love it - I'm sure. Can't wait for delivery day.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts

My forey into SxS was born from getting older and being tired of dragging deer out of the fields and forests in the middle of the night. As I recall I had to drag a deer out about 1/2 mile and it nearly killed me - while huffing and puffing back at the car I decided I had dragged my last deer - with two weeks I had purchased a Rhino - that was back in 2005. At the time I didn't think there was anything that Rhino could not do - 3-4 deer and 4-5 guys - no problem. Beat up my Rhino pretty good but that was why I bought it. Life was good!!!

As spring rolled around it seems a waste to have this industructable 4 wheeler sitting around so I started going up to the Adirondacks to Lewis County and around Lake George where I could really hurt the Rhino and myself - great fun. My girlfriend really liked the Rhino and loved to drive it into the mud and rocks. Seems the Rhino was a little wide for many of the trails and was broken regularly on the BIG rocks. Solution - got a Can Am 800 Max XT thinking we could both still ride together and would be able to go where we could not take the Rhino easily. Problem - the 800 was/is way to scary for my girlfriend to drive so she is always in back struggling to see whats happening.

Soooo the moral of this story is that a side by side will do work and fun things that a quad will not do well, anyone can get behind the wheel and have a great time safely and you don't have to rag deer.

Why the Commander? Heard about them from friend who fixes my Rhino, did a little reserarch, went to one of the Can Am rides, and called my dealer the second I got out (after the second ride) and ordered an X. It is just to fast, too cool, to much fun not to have one. My girl friend is calling me crazy (they are not giving them away) but she will absolutely love it - I'm sure. Can't wait for delivery day.
Welcome from the coast of Oregon only 5mins. to the dunes..:)...Barbara

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts

Welcome to the forum...looking forward to hearing about more of your adventures!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never owned a "quad" cuz my wife didn't think it would be fun. I had to agree cuz I have a Harley and Ski- doo and constantly get head butted or the "tap out" when she rides with me. I bought a Chinese imitation Ranger. It worked well . She thought it was a gas. Laugh , laugh , laugh. But it didn't go fast enogh for me and was always last. Well, she didn't like that either, oddly enough, and when we did a test ride she absolutely thought it was the best since sliced white bread. So had to get one ,with no opposition. So if you like spending time with the old lady, or, just want to bring her and she won't be bitching. But a SXS

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seems like alot of the same reasons. We all used to ride Quads in the Sand mostly. Someone always launching everytrip. We are all over 50 now and the Wives and GFs now accompany us on our trips.
We have a core group of about 12 and it swells as high as 20 on any given trip.
About half our guys have added either a Rhino or RZR and one guy with an Arctic Cat Prowler. We all still bring our Quads, but most of the time the SXS guys are doin the social thing out there. So my Quad group is getting smaller. Im dealing for a Commander tommorrow morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have ridden quads for years, both sport and utility. I got an Outlander 800 a few years back and love it (besides overheating on the last Colorado trip).

We have a two-year old who won't be riding his own for a few more years, at least not technical stuff. With many states adopting no-passenger laws, a SXS seemed like a way for the three of us to all ride. I am in the process of adding a middle child's seat to the Commander.

On the negative side; I don't know if I'll be able/comfortable on some of the Colorado trails we ride on the quads. Many of them are narrow, off-camber, and have sharp turns with bad consequences if you go off the trail. With the quad, you can bail off and grab a rock if you have to. With the SXS... well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts