Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed the Commander needed better stability on the off camber trails that I ride on. I did not want to go long travel due to some trail restrictions and cost so I opted for wheel spacers. Not my first choice however the best choice for me at this time. I chose the 2" Spacers from Factory UTV because they were made to be the lighest possiable to keep the sprung weight down. Using the spacers posed two problems for me. The first was now the factory tree bars were not going to be as usefull as that should be. The second was the wheels are going to be out past the fenders there will be more Mud thrown. So I opted to extend the tree bars out and add the fender flares. Here are some pics of the results:

Stock Picture:

Tree bars after I added extensions:

Extended Tree bar only with out Flare:

Extended Tree Bar with Flare:

Wheel spacer:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
Nice job bud! my XT flares are still sitting in the box... I need to find some down time to get them install..the extended bars is a great mod!

thanks for taking the time to document it all...

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
Thanks. Plan on setting aside a whole day to add the Flares!:(

Oh JOY!!! thanks for the motivation...I never have a day to do this stuff...

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
You could allways do the rears first and then the fronts or visa versa. You have to remove bothe the front and rear side panels to do the job. The fronts take 60 % of the time.
I could split it up.. (good idea!) or see if the local BRP dealer will do it for the suggested 1.6 hours the instructions indicate!

I'm still 3-4 projects behind on the Commander...seems like every weekend I'm either up in the mountains riding or buried in holiday stuff... man I love how you've just knocked these things out..the other thing somewhat holding back is the decision to rip this thing apart to make it into a racer...see how it all comes together..

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could split it up.. (good idea!) or see if the local BRP dealer will do it for the suggested 1.6 hours the instructions indicate!

I'm still 3-4 projects behind on the Commander...seems like every weekend I'm either up in the mountains riding or buried in holiday stuff... man I love how you've just knocked these things out..the other thing somewhat holding back is the decision to rip this thing apart to make it into a racer...see how it all comes together..
Yea I read the Instructions and seen the 1.6 Hours and just laughed! :rofl: It really is a misprint and is supposed to say 11.6 Hours!:) At least your able to ride this time of year. I have a foot of snow and its 18 degrees outside so I have plenty of time on my hands to do this stuff. And of cource I have a very understanding Wife who supports my Hobby and also enjoys offroading with me. Hell I still have my 700 Rotax Pilot to finish over the Winter.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I want to add wheel spacers for more stability, I have put mine on two wheels a couple of times, once with a big O'SH$T, but avoided putting it on it's side or worse.
My Question is do they really make it a lot more stable and do I need to worry about the bearing issues other people have talked about???.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any time you Increase the footprint of a vehicle you decrease the chance of roll over. I have not driven my Commander on the trails since I Installed them so I have no empircal data to pull from. Bearing ware will Increase however by how much depends on the terrain you ride in. I dought it will be significant. Like a lot of things its a trade off. Increased bearing ware versus decreased rollovers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info, The trade off is mindless, when will you have a chance to take her for a ride?, I'm anxious to hear your overall on these.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well considering its in the twentys and a foot of snow on the ground I dought I will get out until spring!
ouch, do you by chance have an idea what wheel bearings would cost and are they easy to install, maybe even get some better one's when time to deal with it.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Nice looking customizing there Steve......thanx for all the pictures to help more of us along....Lance

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Just so you guys are aware, Check your bearings often. I ran wheel spacers for one weekend on my car and the rear bearings were shot.

I have seen another car through the shop here with spacers on and the same thing happenend with his.

We were both running high offset wheels with paddles so with your wheels it may not put as much load on them...

Just a heads up. the bearings arent cheap!

·
Registered
23 Posts
put the 2" wheel spacers on last friday and they made a huge difference with the stability, before the spacers I was putting her up on two wheeels easy,
to be honest that's not what I want at all, I like sliding around and having fun but a few times I got a little wide eyed, It feels a lot better now and I may even consider a little wider in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts