Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Commander has the factory half _shield ....when we rode in dusty conditions, it acted like a dust magnet....we had to remove it because of the solid dust and couldn't see thru it...

What are some products you all have used to 'demagnetize' plastic or lexan type materials? Is there a product that can be put on to deter the dust?.....thanx, Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
16 Posts
LBR, how well did the half windshield deflect wind? Did you notice much of a difference after you installed it?

I don't think I want a full windshield, but I was thinking maybe a half windshield would do the trick

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LBR, how well did the half windshield deflect wind? Did you notice much of a difference after you installed it?

I don't think I want a full windshield, but I was thinking maybe a half windshield would do the trick
The half shield works great to deflect compared to no shield and full force wind hitting you .....the main complaint of the factory half shield with us besides collecting dust is that top angled part is in your line of sight .....it actually looks like a 1/2" chrome rod in your way, if that makes sense?......Lance

·
Registered
3 Posts
full and half windshield

i have the split windshield but it gets really warm in the cab on a hot day, i can crack it open but i like to take the top half off when i ride but my wife likes it on so the wind dont blow in her face, i think in the winter time its going to be nice having a full windshield to keep some of the cold out

·
Registered
4 Posts

The half windshield deflects the wind real good. Also helps when its raining.
Doesn't help at all keeping the dust out. Plexis is great to clean it but does
nothing for eliminating the dust. I do have a roof and not sure if that makes
it more dustier??

If you can't stand dust, then I would suggest leaving windshield off...

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The half windshield deflects the wind real good. Also helps when its raining.
Doesn't help at all keeping the dust out. Plexis is great to clean it but does
nothing for eliminating the dust. I do have a roof and not sure if that makes
it more dustier??

If you can't stand dust, then I would suggest leaving windshield off...

Mark
That is our complaint of the factory windshield is it's a dust magnet .....then becomes a beach to see thru....only answer is to be the leader of the pack or remove it ....

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
i wonder if a molded peice on the tailgate would do anything, like the newer chevy trucks. i guess this is why jeeps have a fold down windsheild, so if your offroading in dusty areas you just fold your windsheild down. i heard someone say if you cut a hole behind the seat, like on the side, it would break the vacum. i was thinking the slots on the sides would serve as a good spot. what do you guys think would work or not?
also that theory was suposedly used on dirt track cars and works, so who knows!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I fixed the problem that LBR is talking about with my Cah-Mandi it's very very very simple......just let a company (in this case Muzzy's) do some R&D work on your commander this way you won't be driving it and the windshield stay clean..:giggle::giggle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Half Windshield

I have a have a half windshield on my Polaris 800XP. I don't have a problem seeing when it's full of dust as most of the time i'm looking over it. I found that a micro fiber cloth works great for removing the dust.

Future Commander owner.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I have a have a half windshield on my Polaris 800XP. I don't have a problem seeing when it's full of dust as most of the time i'm looking over it. I found that a micro fiber cloth works great for removing the dust.

Future Commander owner.
LBR has 1/2windshield on his Rhino and it is fine to look over the top.
The problem with the OEM, and I'm not the only one is the 1/2 windshild is a lot taller then the others and where the deflector part is....is where most everyone looks out and it reflects back like a chrome piece...LBR has adjusted the drivers seat so I sit almost straight up and I still not able to see over it
I had my hardest part in the dunes going around the sand humucs...I finally took it off and I'm willing to sell it....Barbara

·
Registered
7 Posts
LBR has 1/2windshield on his Rhino and it is fine to look over the top.
The problem with the OEM, and I'm not the only one is the 1/2 windshild is a lot taller then the others and where the deflector part is....is where most everyone looks out and it reflects back like a chrome piece...LBR has adjusted the drivers seat so I sit almost straight up and I still not able to see over it
I had my hardest part in the dunes going around the sand humucs...I finally took it off and I'm willing to sell it....Barbara
BLR, I see that you r fed up with your half wind shield and are willing to sell how much would you like for it shipped to 92647 thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Barb I thought LBR was going to trim the bottom to make it shorter for you to see over? What happened to that Ideal?
When looking at the design, I can't really trim the bottom and lower it, as the strap mounts will lose their alignment with the cage bars ....

Only feasible way to modify it is to saw the top lip off,which I will do once we get it back again.....

All in all, it's been a Commanderless summer for BLR ...had it for 2 outings struggling with starting and idle issues, then a complete no _start problem at our Sand Mountain with the one _way sprag .....she's been the best trooper thru all of this, but it is definitely getting old ....

One of these days, we'll get to see it again

sent by my cranky Dumbroid

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel for her. Mine has been in the shop most of the season between the Frame swap, Rear diff replacement, Rear diff drive shaft replacement, Front diff seal leak, Front Axel replacement, Steering rack replacemnt, Limp home mode, etc. Fortunaly all covered under Warranty! I just love first year release's!
And my condolences to you too!...:).....at least it's one way to keep the machines lower mileage for resale or trade-in values, I guess...:giggle:

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still managed to get 800 miles on it. lol How is the Muzzy phase two coming along?
Shot them an email yesterday day inquiring and haven't heard yet ....probably one of three things will happen

...make the setup now idle better

....move the cable TB directly to the intake like all other machines are, losing that 3' long chamber in-between

....go with smaller dual TBs to control idle better but still have enough wot airflow

sent by my cranky Dumbroid

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Is the windshield creating a vacuum within the cab? This has been an issue in the past with other machines.

I do not run a windshield, however, this is something that has been brought up previously.
We use the oem half wind shield with our soft top and screen rear window, the area of the screen is scientifically (LOL) calculated to balance the air flow and nearly eliminate the back draft.Most of our dust is coming up through the floor. Does get hot in there in the summer so our pet name is the Cand-Ham.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts