Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the service manual and caught a section of the manual where you can enter the tire diameter in the B.U.D.S software for your commander. Wanted to give anyone a heads up that has tires they are putting on their new machine. This can be set at the dealership. I am sure it adjusts your speedo based off tire size.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Good to know about that the Budds will account for tire differential....too bad we can't get an "app" for that.......Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...

·
Registered
10 Posts
when i changed from my 27 bighorns to my 28 mud bugs , the speed sensor picked up on it right away , and by the end of the day it sent it in to limp mode

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
when i changed from my 27 bighorns to my 28 mud bugs , the speed sensor picked up on it right away , and by the end of the day it sent it in to limp mode
Aside from the GPS remark, how do you think the ECU could figure this out to throw a code?

Guess I'll throw out a guess ....we know there is what all have referred to as a shaft saver mode....so there is ability for the ECU to compare rear wheel speed vs. engine RPM ....if tire height is changed, the rear wheel speed vs. RPM would be wrong compared to the factory ECU program ...in theory, it goes into a long term shaft saver mode, times out, then throws a code....

No GPS,,,,, but by two sensors "arguing", pisses the ECU off enough to throw a code,,,,,,,,,,, similar to two drunk patrons at a nightclub fighting and the bouncer throws them outdoors ....lol.....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bigger tires makes it work a little harder but there is no way for the computer to be able to tell if it is just going up a hill or pulling a load. If it went to limp mode it was not from bigger tires! It could do it if you had different sizes from front to back but not likely

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
I don't mean to sound like an ass! Im trying not to!Sometimes its hard not to! ..... Man I quit!
No....it wasn't taken that way man.....don't quit!!! We're going to understand the ECU theory by this brainstorming! I'm just rethinking different ways a BRP engineer could keep the commander from giving us 100%....the holes I'm leaving out of my analysis (like RPM is one of them with the non direct drive CVT ) would take a full day to type on this stupid phone ...lol.....

With RPM, iTC, gear selector, and how many more sensors, ECU knows too much more of our machine than we do .....

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey thanks , LBR for backing me up , i am just going off what my dealer told me , and i trust them,,there r alot of senors on these rig and there is a reason why when u hook up the BUDD,s up to the machine it has a tire option

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
hey thanks , LBR for backing me up , i am just going off what my dealer told me , and i trust them,,there r alot of senors on these rig and there is a reason why when u hook up the BUDD,s up to the machine it has a tire option
Your welcome, but am not posting to back up statements of anybody in speculation mode as we ALL are ASSuming so much of this highly guarded ECU secret ....just think of the info gathered and shared in base 2 zeros and ones by the computer and half a dozen strategically placed sensors ...if I had 4 hours, I'd dump my thoughts on ya! ...haha...

That option you speak of is probably for the dealer to get the speedometer as close as possible when some tall mudder tires vs low profile tires are used.....possibly not the reason for your machine to throw the limp code as Diesel said earlier ...I respect his comment a lot, so I would make sure that if that code shows up again, to follow up on it ....these codes embed themselves into the ECU for Budds downloading at the dealers, so try to remember what happened, what circumstances etc for future diagnostics .....but that's me ...most owners don't think like this and just wanna have fun...lol....Lance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts